My husband and I love asian and mexican food. So when I find recipes that we both really like, that are somewhat healthy and affordable they stick around for a long time on our weekly menu. 🙂
Homemade Chicken Fried Rice | Delish Dish 5
Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 20 minutes Serves: 3-4
- 3 cups prepared rice (I used organic brown rice)
- 2 chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces and seasoned with salt & pepper (could use leftover cooked chicken)
- 1/2 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 1/2 cup frozen edamame (optional, if you don’t use this I suggest using another chicken breast)
- 2 green onions, chopped (I was too lazy to find these so we went with out)
- 1-2 clove garlic, minced (Original recipe calls for one but I always get generous with garlic)
- 2 egg (I used part of the egg yoke and the whole egg white)
- 3 teaspoons sesame or wok oil, divided (I used sesame oil)
- 4 Tablespoons soy sauce
- Whisk egg with 1 teaspoon oil in a small dish then set aside. (To use half the yoke, break one egg use all of it, then for the other just use the egg white. The egg color will be whiter but have half the fat.)
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large wok or skillet over medium-high heat. Add seasoned chicken then occasionally stir until cooked through (no pink when cut) and remove to a plate. (If using pre-cooked chicken, skip this step.)
- Heat remaining teaspoon oil in the wok or skillet then add frozen mixed vegetables, edamame and green onions. Stir until tender, about 2 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for 30 more seconds. Make sure not to over cook, garlic burns easily.
- If using skillet remove vegetable mixture to a plate and add egg and oil mixture. (If using wok push vegetables to the side of the wok then add egg and sesame oil mixture into the center.)
- Let egg mixture set until the egg on the side of the pan start to turn solid. Delicately scarp the bottom of the pan and fold over. Continue until eggs have solidified. Gently break egg up into small pieces. (In easy terms, scramble you’re eggs.)
- Add cooked chicken, rice, and soy sauce to skillet or wok then fold with spatula or toss well to combine. Enjoy!
I originally found this recipe here: http://iowagirleats.com/2012/08/23/take-out-fake-out-easy-chicken-fried-rice/