I love cookies, I mean like seriously. One year I had everyone I know bake me cookies as a birthday present, it was a good problem. We even had cookies at our wedding instead of cake! Because, let’s be honest, cookies are better than cake. (Its ok if you don’t agree, we can still be friends.)
In my attempt to cut out more cane sugar from my diet and eat a little better I discovered a few recipes. One was a Paleo cookie and another was the oatmeal cookie recipe on the side of the Oats bag from Trader Joes, both of which are delicious, but the paleo cookie called for nut flour and the Trader Joe’s recipe had sugar. And I just wasn’t in love with the paelo cookie so I decided to make my own recipe combining the two. So here is my recipe that makes these guys slightly healthier but still delicious!
Gluten and Sugar-Free Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
Prep time: 45 minutes Cook Time: 10-12 minutes Makes: 1 dozen
- 1/4c maple syrup
- 1 egg
- 1 3/4c oats
- 1/4tsp soda
- 1/4tsp salt
- 1/4tsp vanilla extract
- 2tbps coconut oil, melted
- 1/4c peanut butter
- 1/2c chocolate chips (you grab some enjoy life chocolate chips if you are avoiding dairy.)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Prep cookies sheets with silicone baking sheets (if you don’t own these and bake at all go buy one they are amazing!) or lightly spray with oil.
- Mix together egg and maple syrup in a small bowl and set out for 30 minutes to get to room temperature. *DON’T SKIP THIS STEP* (Promise me, I’ve tried and it turned out horribly.)
- Meanwhile, mix together oats, soda, and salt in a large bowl. Melt coconut oil but let it cool down slightly while waiting on the egg and maple syrup to get to room temperature.
- Quickly whisky, mix in vanilla and cooled down but not solidified coconut oil to egg/maple syrup mixture.
- Immediately poor wet ingredients into dry ingredients, mix well.
- Add peanut butter. Mix well. Add Chocolate chips. Mix well.
- Drop a tablespoon of dough about 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheet. You can flatten down the dough if you want your cookies flat or leave them in a ball if you like balled cookies. (I left mine in a ball.)
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until cookies are slightly golden.