I once ate a whole batch of cookies by myself. I know, I have a cookie problem. The benefits of this besides an anti beach body is enjoying life and bringing you, friend, the best vegan grain free chocolate chip cookie recipe there is. If you’re anything like me and you’re on a funky diet for whatever reason finding a vegan, grain free, paleo chocolate chip cookie is a challenge. So friend, I introduce to you the best vegan chocolate chip cookie around!
Why Vegan Grain Free Chocolate Chip Cookies?
Hey, I’m Emmy, one of the Oregon and Colorado elopement & couples photographers and guides here at Celebrate Again. Here we have a mission to help couples live their best lives through epic celebrations. Since we’re all about celebrating we know how important good food is on days of celebration. So that’s why we’ve created some delicious plant based recipes to help you keep enjoying life to the fullest as you skip out on all the ingredients that don’t serve you well.
For our wedding, my husband and I had chocolate chip cookies instead of cake. Yep, already breaking traditions before it was cool. Now, if only we had eloped on the top of the mountain we would have been real trend setters. Alas, we had a church wedding and a country club reception…so exciting, right!? Well, sorta. Anyway back to the cookies, we had cookies instead of cake? Well, I had them “guarded” because we didn’t want people to eat cookies without us. We showed up SO late to our own reception that everyone kinda forgot about the cookies.
So after our wedding I had BAGS of cookies leftover in our freezer…like enough to feed 200 people. TWO HUNDRED PEOPLE!! Guys, I finished that bag of chocolate chip cookies in three months…it’s so bad. I know, haha.
Flash forward to today, 10 years later. I’m on this plant based, low fat, grain free diet (aka the medical medium diet)…and finding the best vegan grain free chocolate chip cookie recipe has been hard.
I recently discovered Miyoko’s butter. Have you tried this plant based butter? It’s freaking Ammmmmazing!! If you know much coconut oil just doesn’t do it for subbing good ‘ole fashion butter, but Miyokos does! Hooray!
So I went to my trusty old chocolate chip cookie recipe modified these flours with:
- Almond Flour
- Potato Starch
- Green Banana Flour
- Arrowroot Flour
Then subbed Miyokos for the butter and voila, the best vegan grain free chocolate chip cookie around!
Why these flour combos? Well,almond flour is a good base but heavy, potato starch is a little more fluffy but still dense, banana flour is amazing to sub regular flour but has a funny taste, (You could use coconut flour instead but I try to keep as much fat out as I can without sacrificing texture and taste). Then arrowroot to sub for cornstarch which my old time favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe had in it.
To make this recipe the best vegan chocolate chip cookie recipe I went to the trust ole flax egg or a Neat Egg (if you haven’t heard of it you should definitely try it!) If you use a Neat Egg I personally like to not premix it as it congeals kinda oddly instead of mixing in well. So, I just leave it separate with the dry and wet ingredients. Flax eggs on the other hand mix just fine pre-mixed.
Following tradition I mixed the dry ingredients together, creamed the butter with the sugar flax egg and vanilla. Then combined all of this to make the best vegan grain free chocolate chip cookie around town!
Texture, flavor and crunch.
The texture of this cookie is to die for, perfectly crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. Yep, you’ll never believe YOU made these cookies and they are completely VEGAN and grain free. Now, buy all the ingredients in bulk, pull out those loose pants because these babies you’re gonna wanna make over and over again. Ok, but truly moderation right, friends? Let’s not go “crazy eyed” like me, k? K.
The flavor, Miyoko’s butter really brings things out here…also the tablespoon of vanilla extract really helps mask the different flour mix.
Crunch. These guys are the best first thing off the oven, of course. The crunch can diminish a little the next day. But pop them in the toaster oven at 350 for 2-3 min and you may find a crunch return.
Make A Date Night Of It:
Have you tried cooking together….blind folded? Ok, well, only one of you is blind folded and the other instructs and directs your hands. Have fun! Let us know how your cookies turns out. Results of this date night recipe are not guartuneed haha. But we sure hope you have fun connecting. If anything this also makes AMAZING cookie dough to eat too…yay vegan!
Best Vegan Grain Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe:
Best Vegan Grain Free Chocolate Chip Recipe
- 1 1/4 cup Almond Flour
- 1/2 cup + 3tbps Potato Starch (Could sup tapioca starch but not recommended)
- 1/4 cup Arrowroot Flour
- 1/4 cup Green Banana Flour (could sub with coconut flour)
- 1 tbps Neat Egg mix - not pre mixed (could sub for flax egg - 1bps ground flaxseed + 2tbps water sit for 15min)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Cream of Tartar
- ¾ tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 cup Miyokos Vegan Butter
- 3/4 cup Coconut Sugar
- 1/4 cup Maple Syrup
- 1 tbps Alcohol Free Vanilla Extract
- 2 tbps water (to help make neat egg skip if did flax egg)
- 1+ cup Chocolate chips or sub with raisins to make caffeine free
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit. Cover the cookie sheet with bleach free parchment paper, set aside.
- Measure out vegan butter to let it soften.
- In a large bowl mix together almond flour, potato starch, arrowroot, neat egg (not pre mixed), salt, cream of tar, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate large blow, once vegan butter is softened (DON’T microwave it will ruin the butter), cream butter with a hand held blender.
- Add coconut sugar, blend with hand held blender until smooth
- Still using handheld blender add in maple syrup, vanilla extract and water. Combine well.
- Slowly pour in dry ingredients into wet ingredients mixing with a handheld blender. Switch to a wooden spoon once dough starts to thicken.
- Mix in chocolate chips or raisins add in more depending on how much you like
- Place the bowl in the freezer for 5-10 minutes or fridge for 30 minutes. DON’T skip this step.
- Using 2tbps cookie scoop or a spoon, spoon out cookies on to your prepared pan. Place a row of 3 or 4 spacing equally apart to allow for them to expand in the oven.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until slightly done, edges will look slightly brown but not predominantly brown.
- Remove from oven let cool on pan for 5 minutes
- Move to the cookie cooling rack. Let cool. Enjoy
Enjoy with your favorite cup of plant based milk or make it a party and make some of our tahini banana ice cream!
BONUS IDEA: Skip baking all together and enjoy raw cookie dough, thanks vegan plant based foods. Yum Yum, in my tum tum.
What did you think? I love these so much. If you make them tag me so I can share your delights too. You can find us on social media @celebrateagain