As most of you brides out there are beginning your wedding plans I want to offer a great resource for you here on my blog. I’ve already begun a weekly series “Wedding Ideas” in which I share some unique ideas I’ve seen first hand, heard about, or offer my tips. All of these ideas are from my biased wedding photographer’s eye and personal believes and experiences.
In thinking about how limited one view point can be I thought, how great it would it be to get some input from other wedding vendors! So I contacted a few local vendors in the area that I’ve either recently meet or have worked with as well is other vendors I’ve worked with before in Albuquerque to answer some questions that I hope will greatly help you in your planning processes.
The first interview I’m going to share with you is Megan Cary. Megan Cary is a Denver based bridal hair and makeup artist. She worked with me on Anne & Jason’s wedding . I didn’t actually get to meet her as I was photographing the beautiful details of Anne & Jason’s colorado winter wedding in Silverthorne, but I loved what she did with Anne’s hair and makeup!
Here is a favorite of mine that I feel showcases Megan’s work.
Finally here are Megan’s responses to some of my questions.
- Can you tell me what your job title is and what that means to brides? I am a bridal, fashion, commercial & celebrity hair and makeup artist. It means to brides that they are in excellent hands, as I specialize in bridal hair and makeup and am current on the latest trends and techniques! There are specific techniques to performing bridal hair and makeup that is not the same as regular hairstyling or makeup application and I pride myself on knowing those techniques.
- What makes a good bridal hair and makeup artist in your opinion? A good bridal hair and makeup artist is one that does not compare themselves to others. Comparison is the thief of joy. Be confident and proud of what you do. Always stay up to date with current trends and techniques. Loving what you do and impacting those around you positively. If you love what you do you will never work a day in your life!
- What is one thing that separates your business from other similar businesses? I go on location as a convenience to my bride the day of. This alleviates and added stress that they do not need. I believe its how you represent yourself. Bringing yourself together as a whole package. From your website to your portfolio. Then from your trial and meeting with the client to performing services the day of. I believe my website is my storefront and lead with that. The rest just falls into place. I am not just performing a service. I am creating an experience for everyone involved through my work, friendliness and willingness to go above and beyond my job description.
- What is your favorite part about being a bridal hair & makeup artist? All the wonderful people I come into contact with. I absolutely love meeting new people. I love that I travel for my job and that I can make such an impact on someones life and create lasting memories.
- What is the most common mistakes most brides make in planning their wedding? Choosing of the right photographer. There are many out there that I have come into contact with that misrepresent themselves. Brides need to do their research when it comes to that. You do not want to look back on your photos disappointed. It is a regret I see occasionally. Also, it is in the best interest for the bride to do a trial run with their artist. This gives them an opportunity to see if her artist can deliver as well as feel out any personality differences. The last thing on your wedding day is an artist who can perform good services but you can not click with! It suppose to be the happiest day of your life:-)
- Is there one aspect of the actual wedding day that could go smoother? If so, how would you suggest changing the traditional format? Many brides seem to account for a certain amount of time for photography, hair and makeup etc. using a timeline. Always give yourself a little more time than you think for each service as to keep the day running smooth. For instance, I quote my time for hair and makeup a little longer than I really feel I will take. I take into account the bride being pulled away and spoken with etc.
- What’s your best advice for brides working with a tight budget? Absolutely never cut corners with your photographer or hair and makeup artist. They both compliment each other, and just like most things you get what you pay for. As a hair and makeup artist myself if its not in their budget to get both hair and makeup done I suggest choosing professional makeup over the hair. Many girls can find something simple enough to do themselves regarding hair but the makeup is one of those things that is a bit technical to do to get the right look and have it defined in the right areas for photography.
- In finding a bridal hair and makeup artist what are three things brides should look for? 1.)Pictures of their work( portfolio). If the artist has pride in their portfolio they are sure to carry their pride when performing a service. 2.) Reviews Reviews Reviews. Make sure you are getting a good artist. If brides and clients have taken the time out to give reviews that shows a lot! 3.) Clients. Look to see if the makeup or hair artist has a client list. It shows work experience. It separates the professionals from those who only have done their friends or family. Make sure they specialize in bridal artistry.
- If you could give one piece of advice to every bride what would that be? Regarding my hair or makeup service it would be to stay with a classic look. Doing trendy hair or makeup is popular, but with every trend it fades. Also, wear what you are comfortable and feel beautiful in. This goes with gown, hair and makeup. When you feel and look beautiful it shows through into the pictures. If you are confident and comfortable it does the same. You don’t want to look back at your photos with any regrets 10 years down the road. I still look back and wonder why I hair sprayed my bangs up high. lol :-)
- Any thing else you’d like to add?
Please take the time to visit and “LIKE” my Facebook page as well. www.facebook.com/megancaryartistry
I always am updating my status and trying to bring others on my journeys as well through pictures and writing. I also display pictures that I do not have on my website!!! http://www.megancaryartistry.com/
We’d love to work with you as your Colorado elopement photographer and guide!