Should We Elope? A Complete Guide To Deciding What’s Best For You
Table of Contents
- 1 Should We Elope? A Complete Guide To Deciding What’s Best For You
- 2 Should I Elope: What is An Elopement?
- 3 Should I Elope:
10 Reasons To Elope
- 3.1 Why You Should Elope
- 3.2 Should I Elope: Reasons To Elope #1 Travel
- 3.3 Should I Elope: Reasons To Elope #2 Guest Control
- 3.4 Should I Elope: Reasons To Elope #3 It's Chill
- 3.5 Should I Elope: Reasons To Elope #4 Marriage Centered
- 3.6 Should I Elope: Reasons To Elope #5 About You
- 3.7 Should I Elope: Reasons To Elope #6 Party Later
- 3.8 Should I Elope: Reasons To Elope #7 Bye Bye Debt
- 3.9 Should I Elope: Reasons To Elope #8 Simplicity
- 3.10 Should I Elope: Reasons To Elope #9 Keep It Intimate
- 3.11 Should I Elope: Reasons To Elope #10 Less Family Stress
- 4 Should I Elope Quiz
- 5 Should I Elope: Reasons Not To Elope
- 6 Should I Elope: Hire A Good Photographer
- 7 Not Ready to chat?
- 8 Should I Elope: Pin it
In this article we’ll share with you what they have to say! I hope that you can ultimately decide on a wedding that fits your personality, your love story and the traditions you want to honor as a couple.
- Travel Someplace Epic
- Pick Your Guests
- Less Stress
- Focus On Marriage
- About You
- Party Later
- No Debt
- Less Family Expectations
Should I Elope: What is An Elopement?
Defining an Elope:
Let’s start here because maybe you’re wondering what the heck an “elopement” is? Basically, it is to run away without parental consent to get married.
Culturally it’s a term that is used for having a smaller wedding (with fewer than usual guests or none at all) that is centered around what the couple wants versus what anyone else wants for their wedding day.
I personally love to define an elopement as a couple who wants to get married by themselves: do it their way, valuing their experience over anything else.
Whereas I’d say a small wedding is the same concept of eloping plus having a few close family or friends there but still making your wedding day about you as a couple and your experiences together.
Wondering how to elope with family? Check out this post!
Should I Elope:
10 Reasons To Elope
Why You Should Elope
While I’ll be the first to say eloping isn’t for everyone. I’d say the same is completely true of traditional large party weddings. But here are reasons why you should elope!
- Do you find your self wondering “should we elope or have a wedding“, “I want to elope” or “should I just elope” planning your traditional wedding?
- If you’re anything like us having an adventurous heart, then standing in a dark church building or ballroom just doesn’t really fit you even though wearing a gorgeous dress and those killer shoes sound like a blast.
- When you really think about your wedding day you envision being someplace epic with a few of the closest people in your life, not necessarily your grandma’s friends from church you had tea with once when you were 12.
To get a better understanding of wedding days. We asked a group of people what their experience getting married was like and if they would change anything.
GET THIS: 60% of couples who had a traditional wedding wished they would have eloped and had a wedding that fit them instead of following tradition. Can you believe that, 60 percent!?
Along with the information I got from these couples wishing they would have eloped many other couples did elope. When asked “do you regret eloping” only 8% regret their decision. Which was because they were pregnant and didn’t get to plan anything. So really none who had options to plan an elopement regret eloping. I’d say that proves: is eloping a good idea? Yes.
I also spoke with some of our couples who have worked with us and they all have absolutely loved their experience with zero regrets.
Here is why you should elope and why do couples elope in the first places: 10 reasons to elope from real couples like you.
Or skip down to our Should I Elope Quiz that can help you figure out if should we elope quiz!
Should I Elope: Reasons To Elope #1 Travel
Travel Some Place Epic
A lot of couples I talked to said they wished they would have used all the money they spent on decorations, large venue fees, and feeding hundreds of guests on traveling to someplace epic and getting married there instead.
Some even said that they wished they would have turned their honeymoon into their wedding because it was way more enjoyable than their actual wedding day!
Check out these waterfall wedding venues for some ideas!
To get your travel itch, check out our best Colorado elopement location list , Cannon Beach Elopement guide, Ecola State Park wedding guide or if your looking for elopement locations elsewhere check out our Best Places To Elope or our Airbnb guides for Oregon & Colorado!
Or learn how we can serve you as Albuqerque, New Mexico elopement photographers for true hidden gem locaiton!
Should I Elope: Reasons To Elope #2 Guest Control
Picking All Your Guests Or None
Choosing just who you want to celebrate your wedding day with is why a lot of couples wish they would have eloped.
Once you get down your guest list it can become a bit out of control quickly. But if you limit it to who could actually go with you to elope or who you truly want to be at your wedding it becomes very simple. That may really just mean the two of you. Depending on where you get married an officiant too, thankfully in the state of Colorado you can marry yourselves!
Nick, one of our grooms, shared this wonderful perspective about why they decided a small wedding was perfect for them.
Should I Elope: Reasons To Elope #3 It's Chill
Anyone who’s ever been married and had a large traditional wedding can tell you how stressful it can be. It’s beyond overwhelming to plan even if you keep things as simple as possible or even if you’re working with a wedding planner. There is so much to consider when hosting a large event of any kind!
Should I Elope: Reasons To Elope #4 Marriage Centered
Eloping Let's You Focus On Getting Married
Nick, one of our grooms gives this great advice to couples wedding planning.
Should I Elope: Reasons To Elope #5 About You
Your Wedding Gets To Be About You
When you choose to elope you can break or keep the traditions you want. It gives you the freedom to let go of any rules or regulations for your wedding. You get to make it about your love story, passions, desires and your traditions.
Should I Elope: Reasons To Elope #6 Party Later
Have A Less Expensive Party Later
My absolute favorite thing about having a small wedding or eloping is knowing you can totally still have a large party later.
Skip the fancy dinner and invite your friends to an epic dance party. If you’re anything like me skipping the dancing may be the hardest thing to consider in eloping, but what if you could do both?
Idea Alert: Have the wedding day of your dreams and host an epic party later! This is exactly what we’re about here at Celebrate Again!
Carli did just this and this was her experience:
Should I Elope: Reasons To Elope #7 Bye Bye Debt
I really don’t like to start here because an absolutely well planned elopement with stunning photography in an epic location isn’t going to be a couple of hundreds of dollars. It still will be an investment. So, I highly discourage couples from wanting to elope to save a couple hundred bucks. Your wedding day is worth that investment. Your relationship is worth that celebration, and I don’t ever want to state otherwise. But, traditional weddings ARE more expensive than eloping. Elopements usually average about $10,000-15,000 vs the average wedding costing $30,000.
A lot of couples go into debt for a traditional wedding. Recent wedding reports have come in that the average couples spent $33,000 on their wedding in 2019.
Should I Elope: Reasons To Elope #8 Simplicity
Eloping Keeps It Simple
One of our couples said this about their elopement experience, “It was easy and turned out absolutely perfect for us. We wanted a low stress ceremony for us and just to be able to have our closest family members with a God honoring ceremony. I can see how weddings can get big quickly…”
Should I Elope: Reasons To Elope #9 Keep It Intimate
Eloping is An Intimate Experience
- Eloping allows you to get lost in the arms of your beloved instead of the chaos of managing a large event.
- Eloping allows you to stay present in the moment of your wedding day instead of fussing over if uncle bob is at the bar again during family portraits.
- Eloping allows you to soak up every moment because you get to go at your own pace.
- Elopping allows you to connect.
- Eloping allows you to have the adventurous experience you want.
Should I Elope: Reasons To Elope #10 Less Family Stress
Eloping Lessens Family Expectations
This one is huge for me, personally. I wanted to get married on the top of the mountain in our hometown. If you know me and know where that is you know it’s a really magical place especially at sunset. It’s also easily accessible by a tram! But my family quickly vetoed this. To this day (10 years later) I still regret giving in and getting married in a dark church building with a reception at a random golf course clubhouse. Our dance party was the best part, the rest was a blur.
My story aside, elopements allow you as a couple to make the shots, you don’t need help planning elopements because they are simpler. This means you don’t have to involve anyone in helping you put it together that you don’t want included in the decision making, i.e. family. You get to say this is what we’re doing and you’re invited…or maybe not. Decisions get to be yours and you get to set the expectations.
Should I Elope Quiz
Should I Elopement Quiz
Still not sure if eloping is right for you? Are you thinking “to elope or not elope?”
Check out our quick should we elope quiz to decide! This is also a great elope or wedding quiz or deciding if you should have a big or small wedding quiz.
Should I Elope Quiz
Should I Elope:
Reasons Not To Elope
Pros and Cons of Eloping
“Will I regret eloping?” We cannot predict the future but we highly encourage you to take our Should I Elope Quiz to help you weigh your decisions carefully!
Can the family/friends you absolutely want to be a part of your wedding day ceremony go where you want to go? Is a reception after not sufficient if they cannot?
Is it a good idea to elope? We think so, you can always have an epic party later!
- If you don’t want to have your family there or they cannot be there will you not miss having your parents walk you down the aisle or zip your dress up or other traditions like this? (Note they can still do this if they can come to a small wedding or elopement!)
- Will you miss having ALL of your friends at a dance party? (Again, can you do a reception later?)
- Is getting married in a sacred place like a catholic church or mosque important to you? Is an outdoor space untouched by humans like national parks also sacred to you too?
- Are their religious traditions you cannot partake in if you elope? Can you incorporate any traditions to fit your desires?
- Is eloping biblical? I’m going to highly challenge this thought by sharing with you an amazing article we wrote a guest post for which you can read here: Is Eloping Selfish
Should I Elope:
Should I Elope During Covid?
This is such a hard question for us to answer, so instead of answering it for you I’m going to ask is having a traditional wedding and all your guests there important to you or is getting married to your beloved the most important?
Can you Celebrate Again later with family and friends who couldn’t be at your small guest count elopement?
If you’re feeling really torn we highly encourage you to scroll back up and take our Should I Elope Quiz While we didn’t design this quiz for answering the Covid wedding question. We think it asks the right questions to help you truly value if maybe an elopement is the wedding you never knew you could have.
For more exact info about this check out our article on eloping during the pandemic.
Should I Elope: Where To Elope
Ok, so you’re READY to elope but not sure where?! While the ideas could be endless here I’ll save that for another blog post! So I’ll start you off with some questions to jump into together!
- What do you want your destination to be like? Think about all your 5 senses when dreaming here.
- What does your dream elopement spot look like? Smell like…..Taste like…. Feel like….Sound like…
- When do you want to get married and what season is your dream destination in? I personally love New Zealand and wish I would have gotten married there back in January 2010 because it would be summa time there!!
Or is your dream elopement spot someplace special in your hometown or a place you’ve visited and fell in love with?
Many of our couples have visited Colorado before and fell in love here, literally, or proposed here and come back to get married. I personally don’t blame them, it truly is a magical diverse state! Learn how to elope in Colorado!
We’ve also fallen madly in love with Oregon, which is really the hidden Iceland of America. Check out this Cannon Beach elopement guide to see for yourself!
Or you can head to our Best Places To Elope!
Should I Elope: Hire A Good Photographer
Last but not least we cannot forget to hire a good photographer. Elopement photographers like us who specialize in elopement photography are also your guides. Meaning, we have so much training behind us that we can help you find that perfect secluded ceremony spot, where to take more photos and where and when to catch the best sunrise or sunset! We’ll help you figure out your elopement wedding day timeline and come alongside you to cheer you on to have one of the most amazing days of your life. Not to mention provide you with photos that will make your jaw drop.
We believe the first day married should be one you’ll want to relive over and over again ….so much so we offer you to do it again with us in Celebrate Again!
But don’t take it just from us. Here’s what others have had to say!
Some couples said they wish they could have a do over. If you’re reading this and are already married: my friend, you totally can! This is part of the reason why we have a whole separate anniversary idea where you Celebrate Again for your anniversay and help you know what to do for your anniversary!
I sincerely hope this has helped you decide if you should elope. It is a very hard decision especially if you’re facing pushback from any family or friends. Please know we are here to support you making a decision about YOU, YOUR STORY and YOUR LOVE. Because at the end of the day it’s YOU TWO who are getting married, not anyone else.
Brittany and I are in this with you. Reach out to us personally with any questions you have. We’re an open
Cheers to choosing YOUR wedding day.
Let's Hang Out.
We’re here to be your elopement day BFF’s and share our expertise through the entire planning process.Schedule a call with us to get this party started!
Not Ready to chat?
Download our free elopement planning guide
Ready to make wedding planning easier? Download our free planning tool kit!
- 🧐Should I Elope Quiz
- ✨How To Make Your Elopement Special
- ⌚️Elopement Timeline
- 👗Elopement Wedding Dress For Your Outdoor Wedding
- ☑️Elopement Checklist
- 🏠Eloping with Family
- 🧳Elopement Packing List
- 💦Waterfall Wedding Venues
- 🏞Best Places to Elope